Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dragons

Last night, just as I was getting Avan to bed, Duane started crying from his room. He had been put to bed about a half hour earlier and I thought that he was already asleep. When I heard him crying, I went into his room and asked him what was wrong. He pointed at the window and, with all the fear a two year old could have, said "DRAGONS! DRAGONS!" I was really confused because the only dragons I could think of that he knew were the ones on PBS kids. Then I heard the yowling of cats just outside his window. Anyone who has ever heard a cat fight knows that they can sound really nasty. Duane was scared out of his mind and still yelling, "DRAGONS!" I quickly scooped him up and took him outside to show him that the kitties were making that sound. He seemed to calm down once he saw the cats. One was pitch black and lives in our apartment building and the other was snow white. The white one bolted out from under a car it had been hiding under and the black one took off after it. I told Duane not to be afraid and that kitties sometimes made ugly sounds when they got together.

It took about a half hour of comforting, but Duane did manage to get back to sleep. He felt much better after he discovered that his dragons were really cats in the parking lot.

No comments: